Friday, March 4, 2011

girls skirt

This cute little girls skirt tutorial I found At Second Street: Valentines Attire. I had some left over fabric from another project that I hadn't finished yet, (I came across a bump, couldn't figure out how to fix it, and lost interest in the project...don't you just hate when that happens?), so I decided to try making the girls matching skirts. This was my first attempt in making a skirt, not bad eh? Each skirt only took a couple hours and Katie's was probably a little trickier because I had to adjust it to about a size 7/8. My nieces don't live near by, so I work strictly off of measurements I take when I do see them, it makes it a little tricky, but hey I'm up for the challenge. I'm sure it would be much easier to use a pattern but they kinda intimidate me, and from what I have read there are sizing issues a lot of the time, besides there is something appealing to me about creating from ground zero. A few things I would probably do a little different next time, (see I'm already learning) ; 1. Use matching thread if you are going to take the time to make something, it will look so much better. 2. correct me if I am wrong, but use a zig zag stitch when sewing in my elastic so there is a better stretch to it. 3. make sure you use the ruffle method for the gathers...I forgot to do this with Katie's skirt and couldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble sewing until I was already finished. There really is a reason to follow each step, it's to make your sewing more enjoyable LOL! Oh well, sew and learn, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment